Is Your Attic Too Hot?
When the summer temperatures are over 100, it is even hotter in your attic. A hot attic is bad for a number of reasons and can be a reason why you can’t cool down your house. Surprisingly, most homes are built without proper ventilation.
Here are some reasons why having a hot attic is bad:
- Your shingles will deteriorate faster
- Items you store in your attic will deteriorate
- Your A/C unit will have to work harder to cool your home, shortening its lifespan
- Your electric bill will be higher
Here is how you can keep your attic cooler:
- Install ridge vents to let the hot air escape
- Seal air leaks to keep the hot air out
- Install an attic fan to help push the hot air out of the ridge vents
These are all solutions to help keep your attic moderately cooler. BUT if you are looking for a better solution that will save you a substantial amount of money on your energy bill, install a radiant barrier.
A Radiant barrier will reflect heat out of your attic, rather than absorb it. Many homes with radiant barrier see their attic consistently under 100 when it is over 100 outside. There is also a noticeable difference in the usage of the HVAC unit. Many customers notice an immediate difference in how often their AC unit is running in the summer.
To find out more about how you can keep your attic cooler and save money on your energy bill, give us a call. We will schedule a FREE home energy audit and show you in 35 minutes how you can save up to 35% on your energy bill!